Jasna Tomičić was born in Valopovo in 1940, but from the time she was three lived in Zagreb. At the same time as high school, she attended secondary ballet school, and at once after having taken the certificate in 1959 started working as a classical ballet teacher. The same year she enrolled in art history and Germany at the Faculty of Philosophy in Zagreb. She took her degree in 1963. As a student, she was involved in field work. She studied the city units of Krk, Ston, Cavtat, Zaton, Mali Ston and other urban sites of the Dubrovnik environment. From 1965 she worked as curator in the culture history department of Varaždin Municipal Museum, where she remained until 1986. As well as these matters, she also ran the picture gallery, inventoried the complete collection of paintings, sculptures and print albums. In the first year she also drew up a conception for the permanent display of the Glass Collection in Varaždin Municipal Museum.
In 1973 she was appointed director of VCM, in which she is particularly to be credited with the renovation of the Sermage Palace and the renovation of a monument of prime quality – the Burg of Varaždin. As well as carrying out the duties of director, she prepared thematic exhibitions and catalogues.
From 1986 to her retirement she was director of the Croatian History Museum in Zagreb, where she worked on the renovation of the Oršic-Rauch Palace. She is the author of numerous exhibitions, three guides, 36 catalogues, six painting albums, 44 articles in Varaždinski vijesti and several monographs, and often wrote for the Annual of the VCM. For her work, she was awarded the City of Varaždin Prize - with silver wreath and the "Pavao Ritter Vitezović" Prize of the Croatian Museum Association for lifetime achievement.
NB. Data taken from the questionnaire, material taken from the Personnel Archives of the MDC, and from an interview recorded on April 12, 2006.
From our library:
Others about the author