The Museum Documentation Centre was founded at the initiative of Antun Bauer, Croatian museologist and collector, in 1955 with the task of:
- systematically collecting, recording and cataloguing material dealing with the development and activities of museums
- collecting professional museological literature, documentation and materials
- serving professionals in their personal and the development of the museum profession in general
- promoting the work and activities of museums
In 1952 it was already obvious that: "there is no systematic record of, nor is it possible to obtain information about museum institutions" so the publication entitled Museums and Archives in Croatia was published in order to begin collecting information about Croatian museums.
During 1953, with the help of the Office for Information of the Croatian Parliament, comprehensive information about each museum in Croatia was collected for the first time along the lines of the principles according to which similar material was systematically recorded at the ICOM Museum Documentation Centre in Paris.
From 1955 to 1964 the MDC functioned within the framework of the Croatian School Museum. On January 21st 1964, the MDC was proclaimed an independent department of the Croatian School Museum in Zagreb, and two years later, on December 5th 1966, it was assigned to the Technical Museum.
MDC was registered as an independent institution on July 22nd 1968.